ILWIS Open 3.8 integrates image, vector and thematic data in one unique and powerful desktop package. It delivers a wide range of features including import/export, digitizing, editing, analysis and display of data, as well as production of quality maps.
- Integrated raster and vector design
- Import and export of widely used data formats
- On-screen digitizing
- Comprehensive set of image processing tools
- Orthophoto, image georeferencing, transformation and mosaicing
- Advanced modeling and spatial data analysis
- 3D visualization
- Animation framework (with optional 3D)
- Auto resampling of different spatial geometries
- Extensive tool set for visual analysis
- Rich projection and coordinate system library
- Geo-statisitical analyses, with Kriging for improved interpolation
- Production and visualization of stereo image pairs
- Spatial Multiple Criteria Evaluation
- Web Mapping Service (WMS)
- Web Processing Service (WPS)
- Hydrological modelling
- Surface Energy Balances
ILWIS 3.8 has greatly changed and improved visualization functionality. A comprehensive update of the graphics system has resulted in an extensive system of options for managing visualization and tuning it for visual analysis.
- Updated graphics system. Animations and 3D have similar functionality and ease of use to that of the regular 2D visualizations.
- New Layer tree. The former display options form has been replaced by a Layer tree in the MapWindow.
- New MapWindow command line. The MapWindow now has its own command line for calculating maps and directly adding them to the MapWindow.
- New Base maps. A set of base maps can be used as extra layers in a MapWindow. Each base map acts as a system object.
- PixelInfo. The former PixelInfo is now a regular part of the MapWindow.
- New applications. Due to the increased importance of animation, the need for certain operations for whole map lists (apart from what can be done with MaplistApplication) resulted in the development of a set of applications for map lists.
- Revamped translation system. The translation system has been revised. A new Spanish translation is now available.
- ILWIS as a WPS Server. A web server system has been added so that ILWIS can now function as a Web Processing Service (WPS) server.
- Improved help system editability. The help system has been moved to a set of html files that can be freely adapted. Previously, the internal help files were already html files, but because they were bundled in the microsoft help format they were dificult to edit.
- New printing process. The old layout system has been removed. Maps are now printed via WYSIWYG copy/paste into an appropriate print program.
- Correct time definition. A "Time" domain (basically a date-time) has been added to enable correct time definition.
- Extended operation list. The catalog operation list has been extended with a finder option to quickly filter through the long list of ILWIS applications.
- Updated SEBS module.
More detailed information can be found in the change log.
Download the current ILWIS 3.8.3 version as a
A 60 page reference document describing all the options in ILWIS 3.8.3 for the visualization of spatial data sets is available here.
In charge of quality management and in control of its source code is:
Martin Schouwenburg (