The MESA (Monitoring for Environment and Security in Africa) program addresses the need for improved environmental monitoring towards sustainable management of natural resources in five regions of sub-Saharan Africa, namely CEMAC, ECOWAS, IGAD, IOC and the SADC Regional Economic Communities (RECs). The program builds on the African Monitoring of the Environment for Sustainable Development (AMESD) program and is implemented under the coordination of the African Union Commission with the support of the European Union. In the SADC (Southern African Development Community) region, the theme is “Agricultural and Environmental Resource Management”.
MESA SADC-Thematic Action: aims to empower Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) and its member states to manage their agricultural and environmental resources in a sustainable way. The SADC thematic action is developing three information services - Agriculture, Drought and Fire - in order to address the prioritized decision needs for the SADC region. The Agricultural Service monitors the state of the crops and rangeland. The Drought Service monitors drought during the whole year and provides drought outlooks. The Fire Service provides a daily fire risk indication, detection and follow-up of active fires (in real time) and burnt area assessments during the fire season. The flood service provides products for monitoring the status before, during and after a flood event. In order for the user community to handle and process the data from these three services, the “MESA SADC Toolbox” has been jointly developed by the Botswana Department of Meteorological Services (Gaborone, Botswana) and ITC.
The MESA SADC Toolbox plug-in allows the user to import a multitude of data from the MESA SADC THEMA disseminated via “EUMETCast-GEONETCast” into the freeware and open source RS-GIS ILWIS package (minimum version is ILWIS 3.7.2) and its existing processing capability can be used for further analysis.
Key Features are:
- Generic import of geotif raster images to ensure compatibility with the e-Station
- Import procedures for all products (including graphics) from the SADC Region disseminated through GEONETCast, related to:
- Base line products
- Products from meteorological ground measurements
- Products derived from Remote Sensing
- Vegetation performance maps
- Rainfall maps
- Drought maps and graphics
- Fire danger index maps
- Active fires
- Burnt area products
- Long Range Weather Forecasting
- Seasonal rainfall forecast
- Seasonal maximum temperature forecast
- Seasonal minimum temperature forecast
- Import of MODIS country composites from the SADC region. The flood service products are still under development. Import routines will be added at a later date.
All Toolbox functions can be coupled with and/or processed by other generic ILWIS RS and GIS functionality.
The MESA SADC Region toolbox plug-in Graphical User Interface