The ILWIS community is pleased to announce the release of ILWIS 3.8. This new ILWIS version represents a major upgrade from ILWIS 3.7. A comprehensive update of the graphics system has resulted in an extensive system of options for managing visualization and tuning it for visual analysis. In terms of functionality and ease of use, animations and 3D visualization have achieved similar usability to the regular 2D visualizations.
ILWIS Open 3.8 integrates image, vector and thematic data in one unique and powerful desktop package. It delivers a wide range of features including import/export, digitizing, editing, analysis and display of data, as well as production of quality maps.
Major changes in ILWIS 3.8 include:
- Updated graphics system. Animations and 3D have similar functionality and ease of use to that of the regular 2D visualizations.
- New Layer tree. The former display options form has been replaced by a Layer tree in the MapWindow.
- New MapWindow command line. The MapWindow now has its own command line for calculating maps and directly adding them to the MapWindow.
- New Base maps. A set of base maps can be used as extra layers in a MapWindow. Each base map acts as a system object.
- PixelInfo. The former PixelInfo is now a regular part of the MapWindow.
- New applications. Due to the increased importance of animation, the need for certain operations for whole map lists (apart from what can be done with MaplistApplication) resulted in the development of a set of applications for map lists.
- Revamped translation system. The translation system has been revised. A new Spanish translation is now available.
- ILWIS as a WPS Server. A web server system has been added so that ILWIS can now function as a Web Processing Service (WPS) server.
- Improved help system editability. The help system has been moved to a set of html files that can be freely adapted. Previously, the internal help files were already html files, but because they were bundled in the Microsoft help format they were difficult to edit.
- New printing process. The old layout system has been removed. Maps are now printed via WYSIWYG copy/paste into an appropriate print program.
- Correct time definition. A "Time" domain (basically a date-time) has been added to enable correct time definition.
- Extended operation list. The catalog operation list has been extended with a finder option to quickly filter through the long list of ILWIS applications.
- Updated SEBS module.
More detailed information can be found in the change log.
Download the current ILWIS 3.8 version as a
More information here.